Guardians are essential to the success of the Honor Flight San Antonio (HFSA) program. Without Guardians, we would not be able to provide the opportunity for our Veterans to see the memorials built in their honor.
Honor Flight San Antonio pairs a Veteran with a Guardian to accompany the Veteran for the trip to Washington, D.C. From the moment the Veteran joins us at the airport until we return them to their family, Guardians are expected to treat these heroes with utmost respect and ensure that every Veteran has a safe, rewarding experience.
Guardian responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in boarding/deboarding the airplane and buses and going up/down stairs.
- Observe the Veteran for any signs of medical problems and contact the medical staff at the first sign of problems.
- Spending quality time with the Veteran throughout the day – listening to their stories and taking pictures.
- Must be 69 years old or younger.
- Must be willing to assist all Veterans as needed.
- Must be physically capable of performing the guardian role, which includes assisting Veterans getting in/out of seats, Honor Chairs and up/down stairs.
- Must be able to push your Veteran in an Honor Chair for a minimum of one hour at a time to include up and down inclines.
- Must be able to carry approximately 40 pounds; Veteran’s and your backpacks.
- Must be capable of independent communication with Veterans, HFSA crew, and others.
- Must not require the use of canes, crutches, walkers, slings, have back issues, casts or other physical condition limiting strength and mobility.
- Must attend Mandatory Guardian Training and Meet & Greet prior to the flight.
- Guardians donate toward the cost of their trip. The current tax-deductible donation is $500 and payable (preferably by check) the day of the guardian training.
- A completed guardian application must be submitted and received before the mandatory guardian training.
Because guardians are an integral part of our program, Honor Flight San Antonio reserves the right to disqualify anyone.
Please print, fill out, sign, and mail the completed application to us at:
Honor Flight San Antonio
San Antonio, TX 78247